Friday, May 18, 2007

Cycling Camp in Jasper - Day 1

Last weekend, I attended the Diva Skills Camp (women only) from "Alex Stieda Cycling" that I attended, based in Jasper National Park in the Rocky Mountains (about 4 hours' drive from where we live). I thought it would be a good opportunity to get in some longer rides and some actual climbing on real mountains rather than just in and out of the North Saskatchewan River valley (the only hills around here). And, it certainly lived up to expectations in that regard. (Ed tagged along to do some riding on his own).

We had a mixed group, from some experienced Ironman triathletes and those who had ridden with Stieda on one of his Tour trips previously, to a few who were riding mountain bikes initially (but rented road bikes by the next day). I was somewhere in the middle, quite literally actually on the first long ride.

Friday morning we met most of the group over breakfast, then went to a local grass field (fenced in so the elk and deer don't eat all the grass, just like every house in Jasper pretty much) to practice some bike handling skills drills. Then we rode up the Pyramid Lake Road while practising drafting and riding in a group (average 3.3% grade over 6 km then another 1 km to the end of the road, roughly figuring from my topo map).

In the afternoon, we left from Jasper townsite, road along the highway for a bit, then crossed the bridge and headed up the Maligne Lake Road, hoping to get as far as Medicine Lake. Initially I was able to stay with the main group, even up the first few climbs (well, actually the road seemed to be mostly uphill, but somewhat undulating). Eventually I fell behind, but didn't realize that I was as far back as I was (such that the front group didn't wait for me, probably thinking I'd dropped back to join the 2 on mountain bikes). Unfortunately, they were so far behind I never actually saw them again, nor did I see the front group - but it was a great day for riding and I enjoyed my ride.

Because I was on my own, when it came to the time we'd agreed to turn around I stopped and waited for about 10-15 minutes, thinking that the other group would catch back up to me on their return. When that didn't happen, I powered down the hills thinking I'd catch up to the other two - but no. Even though it's basically off-season right now for Jasper and the town was mostly deserted (compared to summer or ski season), there were still semi-regular tour buses and other tourists going to Maligne Lake, so I never felt particularly worried about being on my own. (I understand that normally Alex's wife rides at his camps/trips as well, which probably helps ensure no one is on their own, but she had broken her arm the month before).

When I got a chance to look at some maps to see how far along the road I ended up (I turned around at the Watchtower trailhead), I realized that I probably only had to make it up that one more hill that had intimidated me a bit, then a bit of easier riding for a few km to get to Medicine Lake. Oh well, next time I'll get there.

(overall distance for me that afternoon = 43.9 km, initially flat by the highway, then about 2-2.5% grade average uphill, again roughly from the topo map)




Ed rode from the town out to the eastern park boundary and back, about 100km. Too bad for him that the return trip was into a strong headwind and he'd forgotten his energy bars (and the store at Pocohontas near the turnaround was closed when he went by).

No comments: